When you want versatility from your wig, and the ability to change your style and look depending on the occasion or even your mood, you’re probably looking at human hair wigs or heat resistant synthetic wigs. Both of these wig types offer styling options, but there are some daily care and styling tips to keep your hair looking its best.
Tips for Human Hair Wigs
- Brush out your wig after each wear.
- Wash and condition your human hair wig regularly. Follow your Wig Elegance stylist direction, usually every two weeks.
- Try to use products and tools made for human hair wigs. Some gentle and sulfate-free natural hair products may work, but products made for wigs will ensure your wig is cared for and lasts.
- One of the best parts of wearing a human hair wig is that you can use traditional styling tools, like a flat iron and curling iron. Be sure to not overheat the hair and use heat protection products.
Tips for Synthetic Heat Resistant Wigs
- For synthetic wigs, it’s especially important to keep it tangle free. Brush out your wig after each wear, not only to detangle but also to distribute oils throughout the hair fibers and keep the hair fibers from drying out.
- Don’t brush textured styles – use your fingers or a special comb.
- You definitely need to use wig products on synthetic hair wigs. Ask your Wig Elegance stylists which shampoos, conditioners, combs and other products will help keep the wig looking its best.
- With heat resistant wigs, you can straighten and curl your hair. But it’s best to use heat tools made especially for wigs to make sure you don’t burn the hair fibers.
- Sometimes non-heat curlers, or simple curlers, can give added texture without the risk of heat damage.
- You still need to be careful around heat with heat resistant wigs. For instance, be sure to take your wig off when cooking around a hot stove or oven.
- Heat resistant does not mean heat proof, and heat resistant synthetic is not as strong as human hair.
Still struggling with daily care for your heat resistant wig? Make an appointment at Wig Elegance and take advantage of our salon services. We can shampoo, style and even repair your wig. Call (215) 945-4900 to schedule services at our Langhorne Square salon and boutique.